Creating the Quiz/Exam
- Quiz questions, potential answers, and the correct answer must be reformatted according to the following model in your Word document (no numbering for questions, single-spaced, capital letters followed by periods, the word "ANSWER" (in all caps) followed by a colon and the letter of the correct response, and an extra space between questions).
Once you have properly formatted all of your quiz questions and answers in Word, you will need to convert this to an unformatted text document with UTF-8 encoding. To do this, in the "Save as" box under "Save as type," select "Text" (.txt) document
- Click the "Save" button, and a new "File Conversion" window will open. Click the "Other encoding" radio button and from the dropdown menu to the right, select Unicode (UTF-8) and "OK." This file is now in a format that can be imported into a Moodle question bank.
Importing Into Moodle
Select the cog wheel in the top right of your Moodle home page
- Click "More"
- Click categories
- Create a new Category by entering a name. You may name it the same name as your quiz for ease.
When you have finished editing the settings of the category, click "Add category" at the bottom
- Return to your shell home page and navigate back to the "more menu"
- Click "Import"
- Select the "Aiken" format, change the import category to the category you created earlier and click "Choose a file". Then navigate to the file you have created and drag it into the file field in the window that appears.
- If you have formatted your quiz correctly, you will now see a list of your questions. Click "Continue"
- You may return to your Shell's home page and create a quiz from there.
- Once you have created the quiz and have begun editing it's questions, select "add" and select "from question bank"
- Then select the group you created previously:
- A list of questions will populate and you may select those you wish to add to the quiz by selecting the checkbox next to them. When you are finished selecting the questions you wish to add, click "Add selected questions to the quiz"
- Finally, double check the questions and their answers.