Loaner Equipment Program
Terms and Conditions
The purpose of this policy is to define the method, process, terms and conditions for faculty and students of Aurora University to obtain, on a temporary basis, laptop devices and/or cellular hotspot equipment (“Loaned Equipment”) for the purpose of attending or teaching remote classes. The term of each loaner period shall be limited to one academic semester. Extensions are available upon request.
The Loaned Equipment and any installed software or ancillary devices are, at all times, the exclusive property of Aurora University and must be returned to university Information Technology Services (“ITS”) at the end of the loaner period (or immediately upon withdrawal/termination from the university) in the same condition as when originally loaned to the user, normal wear and tear notwithstanding.
Eligible Users: All Adjunct Faculty and Registered Students of Aurora University.
Eligible Uses: These computers are available during regular school semesters and only for the purpose of customary academic activities.
Loaner Procedure: An Eligible User must present a valid university ID along with the signed Loaner Agreement Form to an ITS representative at the university Phillips Library or by email at email@example.com. Loaner Equipment may be picked up at the Phillips Library. Should circumstances require Loaner Equipment to be shipped to an Eligible User, Loaner Equipment will only be mailed to the Eligible User address on record with the university. The university cannot ship to addresses outside of the United States of America.
Loan Period: Loaner Equipment may be borrowed for a period up to an entire single semester. Under no circumstances will ITS permit Loaner Equipment to remain with an Eligible User for longer than the period stipulated on the Loaner Agreement Form without prior written consent.
Returns: Eligible Users must return such Loaner Equipment to the university Phillips Library by the specified due date. Should circumstances require Loaner Equipment to be returned via mail, Eligible User must contact ITS for return instructions. Any Eligible User who does not do so within the agreed upon time may have their network account and access to support suspended or student account placed on an administrative hold until the Loaner Equipment and all associated items have been returned. Eligible Users accept full financial responsibility if the Loaner Equipment and/or any associated items are missing or damaged upon their return.
Loss, Theft, or Damage: Eligible Users are responsible for notifying ITS immediately in the event Loaner Equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. Eligible Users agree to not attempt repairs of Loaner Equipment or to allow any other third party to attempt repair. Damaged Loaner Equipment must be returned to university ITS for inspection and repair. Lost or Stolen equipment must be reported to ITS immediately. In the event of significant damage or loss, the cost of repairing or replacing Loaner Equipment may fall upon the Eligible User at the university’s sole discretion. Depending upon the circumstances of loss or damage, Eligible Users may lose future loaner privileges.
Agreement: Each Eligible User must sign the Loaner Agreement Form indicating consent to all terms and conditions including Acceptable Use before taking custody of any Loaner Equipment.
Acceptable Use Policy: By signing the Loaner Agreement Form and accepting Loaner Equipment, Eligible Users acknowledge that Loaner Equipment is the property of Aurora University. As such, Aurora University limits the use of such Loaner Equipment to those activities that are consistent with Aurora University learning and instruction. Any damage to such Loaner Equipment resulting from Unacceptable Use shall be the full financial responsibility of the Eligible User and shall result in the immediate loss of loaner privileges. Unacceptable Use are those uses of Loaner Equipment that are not for the purpose of learning and/or instruction related to university coursework and includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Running or installing any piece of software on any Loaner Equipment, whether intentionally or unintentionally, without prior written authorization from ITS.
- Storing personal information on Loaner Equipment. All files will be deleted upon the return of Loaner Equipment and will not be retrieved. The university is not liable for the loss of Eligible User personal data.
- Storing of confidential or personally identifiable information including but not limited to Social Security Numbers, phones numbers, addresses, date of birth records, and/or bank account or other financial records.
- Leaving Loaner Equipment in an unsecured location subject to theft or in a location that is not temperature controlled for extended periods of time.
- Making unauthorized alterations of the security or configuration of any Loaner Equipment.
- Allowing anyone other than the Eligible User assigned to the Loaner Equipment to use such equipment.
- Using Loaner Equipment to gain unauthorized access to remote systems or attempt to circumvent any security protections or authentication systems of any individual or organization.
- Using Loaner Equipment for personal financial gain including employment for any party other than Aurora University.
- Using Loaner Equipment in a manner that would constitute harassment, invasion of privacy, threat, defamation, or intimidation.
- Placing any of the following types of information or software on Loaner Equipment:
- Material which infringes upon the rights of another person or organization
- Abusive, profane, or sexually offensive material
- Pirated software, destructive software, pornographic materials, libelous statements, or any material which may be injurious to another
- Advertisements for commercial purposes
- Threatening, libelous, or offensive messages
- Playing and/or installing any gaming on Loaner Equipment, unless such game is instructional and has been specifically approved by ITS.
- Connecting to websites related to sex, illegal drugs, criminal skills, hate speech, online gambling, or other sites not consistent with Aurora University mission and/or learning.
For any questions regarding the Aurora University Loaner Equipment Program please contact Aurora University Information Technology Services:
Dunham Hall Room 010
1400 Marseillaise Place
Aurora, IL 60506